Pages

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Blueberry Coffee Cake


I made this coffee cake for my mom's birthday dinner at my house, I know I know why not a regular birthday cake?? We were planning a dinner outside. Well my sister and I decided it was sooooo stinkinging HOT out that a cake with frosting might not be a good idea. My sister had asked me awhile ago to make a coffee cake with lots of crumb topping This cake is a combination of 2 recipes. The cake is a recipe that was suppose to have cinnamon and nuts in it but I decided to make it with blueberries. The crumb topping is from Cooks Illustrated's New York Style Crumb Cake.  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.


 It's the first time I made it like this and I was happy with the results. It came out very very moist. It took alittle longer to bake though and I'm not sure why, the recipe said it would take an hour to bake but it was more like 1 hour and about 15 minutes. After the hour was up I just kept testing till the toothpick was clean.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
1 cup butter (at room temperature)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups frozen blueberries
Crumb Topping
adapted
Cooks Illustrated
1 stick butter, melted and still warm
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 3/4 cups flour
For the cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Fold in sour cream. Sift together dry ingredients. Gradually add to egg mixture. I mixed in the dry ingredients by hand, adding alittle bit at a time. Add the blueberries fold them in. Pour the batter into a 10 inch greased and floured tube pan. I just srayed the pan with pam. Add the crumb topping to the top of the cake. Bake for approximately 1 hour or it tests done. Cool completely before removing from the pan. Don't flip this out onto a serving plate, you don't want to loose any of the topping. After it's completely cooled, run a knife around the bottom of the cake and lift it out of the pan. I had no problem doing that.
Crumb Topping Instructions:
Whisk the butter, sugars and cinnamon together in a medium bowl. Stir in the flour until the mixture resembles a thick, cohesive dough, set aside to cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.

2 comments:

Fran Z said...

Oh Bunny. This looks so good. I hope berries are on sale at Giant Eagle this week!

In the spirit of blogdom I have tagged you for a MeMe!

The Apron Queen said...

Hi Bunny. You asked how to post more than 1 photo from Flickr...

There are several ways to do it. Here's how I do it.

Log into blogger & go to your blog's home page. In the top right hand corner, click on "New Post". You can write a post in either "compose" mode or "html" mode or you can switch back & forth between the two. There is a button in the top right hand corner as you are creating your post for the 2 different modes.

You can use the html code of your picture in flickr instead of using the "blog this" button in flickr.

Go to the picture in flickr & click the icon above it that says "all sizes". Scroll down some & you'll see where you can cut & paste the photo's html code. Paste it onto the page where you are creating the post, but make sure you are in html mode when you do it or the photo won't show, jsut the code will.

And then you can add in as many photos as you want.

It sounds complicated, but it is really simple once you figure it out the first time.

Hope that helps. By the way, those berries in your header are making me hungry! :D