Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Cake Slice...Cappuccino Chiffon Cake


Picture 858

The Cake Slice...Cappuccino Chiffon Cake.  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.






Have you heard of The Cake Slice? We're a group of bakers that are taking a year and baking our way through a book called Sky High: Irresistible Triple Layer Cakes. The book and the subject will change year to year. The group was formed by Katie and Gigi who have extended the invitation to join to anyone interested. This is our first post !! I'm so excited, I love to make cakes! You can find the blog roll for The Cake Slice here and the information to join. Come join us! Our first cake is the Cappuccino Chiffon Cake.
This was not a difficult cake to make, it was actually easy! I had to buy 3 eight inch round cake pans , all I have are 9 inch, but I figure I'll be getting a lot of use out of them baking through this book. I did have a problem with one ingredient though, I couldn't find espresso. But it didn't keep me from making this, I just substituted coffee. Some members substituted cocoa for the coffee. I made the cake as per the recipe, there's rum in that there cake so this is an adult cake! But a lot of the members found ways to make the cake without the alcohol (check out the blog roll)! It tasted like tiramisu... coffee, cinnamon, rum,whipped cream frosting....yes this was a very good cake! This would be great for those holiday parties that will be sneaking up on us.


Picture 850
I had a lot of fun making this cake and a lot of fun eating it! Now go check out the blog roll and see how the other members made and decorated they're cakes!


CAPPUCCINO CHIFFON CAKE

Makes an 8-inch triple layer cake
1/4 cup of neutral oil (ie. vegetable, canola, or soybean)
6 eggs separated
6 tablespoons of freshly brewed espresso cooled to room temperature
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 and 1/3 cups of cake flour*
1 and 1/2 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar
Cocoa powder or cinnamon for dusting

(*The recipe calls for cake flour and if you only have all-purpose flour on hand, you can substitute 3/4 cup (105 grams) all purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons (30 grams) cornstarch.)

Espresso Syrup

1/3 cup hot freshly brewed espresso
1/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup dark rum, such as Meyers*(*if you want to leave out the rum you can use molasses thinned with pineapple juice and flavored with almond extract to equal 1/3 cup. Or use 1 to 2 teaspoons of rum extract flavoring but you'll have less syrup.)

Vanilla Whipped Cream
3 cups of heavy cream
1/3 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla

1. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line the bottom s of three 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper but do not grease.

2. In a medium bowl, combine the oil, egg yolks, espresso, and vanilla; whisk lightly to blend.
In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, 1 cup of sugar, the baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.

3. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar on medium-low speed until frothy. Raise the mixer to medium high and gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar. Continue to beat until soft peaks form. Do not whip to stiff peaks or the cake will shrink upon cooling.

4. Add the espresso-egg mixture to the dry ingredients and fold together just until combined. Add one fourth of the egg whites and fold them gently into the batter. Fold in the remaining egg whites just until no streaks remain. Divide the batter among the pans.

5. Bake the cakes for 18 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool completely in the pans. Once cooled run a knife around the edge of the pans to release the cakes. Invert onto a wire rack and remove the parchment papers.

6. To assemble the cake, place one cake layer flat side up on a cake stand or platter. Soak the cake with 1/3 cup of the espresso syrup. Spread 1 and 1/3 cups of whipped cream evenly over the top of the cake. Repeat with the next layer the same steps. Finally top with the third layer. Soak with syrup and frost the top and sides of the cake with the whipped cream.

7. To decorate the cake smooth out the whipped cream as much as possible on top. Lay a paper doily on top and sift cocoa powder or cinnamon over the doily to reveal a lacy detail.

Espresso Syrup
makes 1 cup

In a bowl, stir together the espresso and sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the rum and let cool to room temperature.

Vanilla Whipped Cream
makes 6 cups

Place the cream, sugar, and vanilla in large chilled mixing bowl with chilled beaters. With the whip attachment, beat the cream until stiff peaks form.

31 comments:

steph- whisk/spoon said...

it was like tiramisu--yours is sky-high and gorgeous!

Marie Rayner said...

Oh yummy! Your cake looks sooooo good!!!

Anonymous said...

It looks so very very yummy.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful cake! Sounds like a fun group and project, one that would most certainly destroy my figure, as cake is my ultimate food. Can't wait to see what else you will be baking.

Jacque said...

Yours looks like it turned out perfectly! Nice job :)

Megan said...

I just realized - I don't have 8" pans either! I guess I'd better buy some for the next cake!

The cake looks absolutely lovely and creamy.

Rosie said...

Your cake looks gorgeous and so elegant!! Well done :)

Rosie x

Mary Ann said...

It looks lovely! Great job. glad you liked it!

Carol said...

Oh Bunny-what a beautiful cake...did ya save me a piece??? I can't find espresso powder around here either...at least not at my regular grocery store.
A cake that tastes like Tiramisu is a great one in my book!!!! :)

vanillasugarblog said...

Oh that looks dangerous! A little cup of expresso and a slice of that.

Jodie said...

Looks good!

marae said...

YUM that looks delicious...!! This is going to be such a fun group...I can't wait til next month.

Maria♥ said...

Your cake looks beautiful!!

Maria
x

Lulu the Baker said...

I can't believe how tall your cake is! Great job!

Gigi said...

Your cake came out so tall!! It looks absolutely delicious!

Maria said...

Now that is a cake! Looks fantastic!

Katie said...

I thought it tasted like tiramisu too - divine. Your cake looks wonderfully tall.

Caroline said...

Wow, your cake looks really "sky high" and delicious!

Deborah said...

I used 9 inch pans, so my cake isn't as high as everyone else's. I'm going to invest in some new 8 inch pans for the next one, though! Your cake looks great!

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks just gorgeous. I love it! I can't do triple layer cakes. I'm simply inept at it.

Brooke said...

It looks awesome. Congrats on a successful first event.

Anonymous said...

I bet this is delicious, what a great event.

Anonymous said...

That is just gorgeous.

giz said...

Such a great cake and no calories even...
If you have a Whole Foods near you, they carry the espresso powder in their ground coffee section - you have to ask for it.

grace said...

it's gorgeous, bunny, and much like mary poppins--practically perfect in every way. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I SO love your blog! This looks DIVINE. I'm afraid my version will not be as beautiful as yours, but I certainly want to give it a try. THANKS!

Deeba PAB said...

Love your cake...it's stunning.The flavours are FABULOUS!!

Jenny said...

Wow Bunny,
That is one beautiful looking cake! I love layered cakes, I know I'd love this one!

Lo said...

Oh, how I love a good layer cake. And cappuccino... can't resist!

Now tell me. What DO you do with all that cake?

The Stay At Home Son said...

Wow! OMG, I just LOVE it! I am going to be SO FAT. (But I don't care.)

Oh--and by the way...your goodies are officially on their way to you. You should have the box by Thursday or Friday (I sent it 2-3 day priority).

Gloria Baker said...

OMG This is an amazing and beautiful cake I love it! I love your delicious blog!! Happy to meet you, Im Gloria from Canela kitchen. Gloria