Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Banana Cake


 photo DSC02230-1_zps7f581c70.jpg

Oh this is an amazing cake!   To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.
 You're not going to believe how moist this is. It was very easy to put together, that's a plus in my book. Especially since I had my granddaughters over night and still here for the day, then I had our family dinner to put together. This is very impressive, if you make this for company, they will adore it! This is very light, it doesn't look like it but it is. The banana and chocolate flavors are wonderful in this cake.

Photobucket
I made this in a grease 9 inch spring form pan, I lined the bottom with a piece of parchment paper and greases that as well.. I melted the butter and oil, I used vegetable oil, in a sauce pan and set aside. I combined all the dry ingredients except the salt in one bowl and mixed till combined. I put the melted butter into my KA, ( you can use a saucepan if you have one big enough, I didn't. I slowly added the dry ingredients to the melted butter. Mix well. I then added the mashed bananas and sour cream, mixing only till combined. I whisked together the eggs, vanilla and salt and added it to the mixing bowl, whisking until the batter was smooth. I poured the batter into the pan and baked for about 50 minutes.


Photobucket

The cake had some cracks in the top of it, but the ganache was very forgiving and you couldn't tell after it was frosted. After the cake was completely cooled I started the ganache. I chopped the semi sweet chocolate up, measured out 1/2 cup of heavy cream into a small saucepan and added the corn syrup. The chocolate went in next, I stirred this on low heat very gently until it was melted. I slowly filled the top of the cake with ganache and gently smoothed it working from the center outward to the sides with an off set spatula. It worked beautifully! About 15 minutes before I was ready to serve this I put it into the fridge to harden up the ganache slightly to cut it.

Photobucket

Wanna print just the recipe, click here!

Chocolate Banana Cake
New York Times
Nigella Lawson
Time: 1 hour plus cooling
For the cake:
Vegetable oil or nonstick cooking spray, for cake pan

3/4cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 3/4cups flour
2 1/2teaspoons baking powder
1/2teaspoon baking soda
1/4cup best-quality cocoa
1 cup sugar
2/3cup sour cream
1 1/2cups mashed banana (about 4 whole bananas)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

3 large eggs
Pinch of salt
For the icing:
1/2cup heavy cream
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
Yellow sprinkles, optional.
1.For cake: heat oven to 325 degrees. Oil or spray a 9-inch springform cake pan and set aside. In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter with olive oil. Remove pan from heat.
2.Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and sugar. Mix well. Add sour cream and mashed banana, and whisk to combine. In a small bowl or pitcher, whisk together vanilla extract, eggs and salt. Add to saucepan and whisk until smooth. Pour into cake pan.
3.Bake until a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Allow cake to cool on a rack for about 15 minutes, then remove springform and allow cake to cool completely before icing.
4.For icing: In a medium saucepan, combine cream, chocolate and corn syrup. Place over low heat, stirring gently with a spatula to avoid creating air bubbles, until mixture is very smooth. Place cake on a stand or a plate and spread icing over it with spatula. Garnish immediately with yellow sprinkles, if using. Yield:One 9-inch cake, 10 to 12 servings.

 photo DSC02229-1_zps3180bf98.jpg

18 comments:

Monica H said...

I've wanted to try those cannoli cakes since I saw them on KAF a while back- they look so tasty!

And I'm loving that ganache dripping down the side of that cake. Since it has bananas in it, can I have a slice for breakfast?

Bunny, I still want to bake with you if you're interested!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Both those dessert look wonderful ladies, as always!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I'd do for either ladies, but since I have bananas sitting on my counter ready fro their moment to shine I will vote for chocolate banada goodness.

Aaron John said...

Both cakes look delicious! I would love to have one of each please. :D

Marie Rayner said...

Oh gosh Bunny, those both look to die for!! Well done!

Helen the Bored PPC Manager said...

Have make a cake for my 6 year old girls birthday party tonight, she just loves chocolate and Bananas, so I am sure she will love this. If she doesn't I can just eat it myself, Great recipes Bunny!

the country cook said...

Oh my...can I blame your pictures for the 5 pounds I've gained this summer??? That frosting looks AMAZING!

grace said...

what a nice thing to do for bananas, bunny. :) i love that ricotta cupcake topping too!

Eliana said...

Bunny - WOW - I am literally drooling over your cake right now!

claudie said...

Hey Bunny
It's me Claudie. I'm coming by to say hello. I've been wondering how you are? Last time we spoke, it wasn't about food lol
I see your blog is still oh so fattening!!, but lovely.
Ok chocolate Banana Cake is my fav.
Send me some news.
Love Claudie @ Bubblin' Over
xoxoxoxo

Theresa said...

Both look so delicious :)

Robin @ The Yankee Kitchen said...

The little cannoli cakes really look terrific. I haven't used ricotta in desserts very often, either. I think I will buy a tub, next time I go to the market.

LunaCafe said...

Holy moly, these both look great! I am particularly smitten with the banana chocolate cake though. It looks so MOIST. Can't wait to try. ...Susan

Megan said...

I was just thinking of a chocolate banana cake for my hubbys birthday. This just may be the ticket!

Unknown said...

Oooooooooh the cannoli cakes are so pretty

Ingrid_3Bs said...

This is s no brainer for me. :) I'm all about the ricotta and I love cannoli.
~ingrid

Katy ~ said...

I don't know that I've ever used ricotta in sweet cooking either, not even ricotta cheesecake so your cannoli cakes look especially tempting and intriguing. If you ever need pistachios and live near a super walmart, they sell them in big plastic buckets for a pretty good price.

Chocolate and banana, ohhhhhh, I can't look!

Beach Teacher said...

Have made this 3 times and it receives rave reviews each time!!! Thanks for sharing!