Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pumpkin Doodle Cookies - World Champion Oatmeal Bars - Chocolate Birthday Cake

Photobucket

My little Prince is getting so big, time is flying by and he's growing leaps and bounds.  Please forgive this very proud gramma for wanting to share.  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.
 Speaking of time...where has it gone?   It's already the middle of November!  We'll be celebrating Thanksgiving in less than 2 weeks.  We'll be searching for recipes for the perfect way to make our turkey, our side dishes and desserts.  Desserts... you know the sugar in my veins runs wild this time of year.  I made three absolute keepers that I want to share with you, Pumpkin Doodle Cookies, World Champion Oatmeal Bars and my son Billy's Chocolate  Birthday Cake.  All delicious easy recipes that I will be making many times.  Lets get the sugar flowing !







I found this recipe after wanting to make something with pumpkin but wanting it to be just a little different.  I wasn't sure where my search was going to lead me, cakes, bars , cookies.....  didn't really care as long as it was fantastic.  I hit the jackpot with this one!  A snicker doodle type cookie made with pumpkin.  My goodness it'll be very hard for me to eat a regular snicker doodle after having this.  Pumpkin flavored cookies rolled in cinnamon and sugar, you need this little gem.  I made these the day before my family dinner, they were soft and moist and stayed that way for as long as they lasted, which trust me wasn't long. 

Photobucket

The cookie batter comes together very nicely.   The batter is refrigerated for an hour and rolled into balls and bathed in cinnamon and sugar. They bake for 10 minutes, if you like, take them out a minute or two before the time is up, it only makes them better.

Wanna print just the recipe , click here!

Pumpkin Doodle Cookies
Midwest Living
  • 1  cup  butter
  • 1-1/2  cups  sugar
  • 1/2  cup  canned pumpkin
  • 2  teaspoons  vanilla
  • 1  teaspoon  cream of tartar
  • 1/2  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1    egg
  • 2-2/3  cups  all-purpose flour
  • 1/2  cup  sugar
  • 1  tablespoon  ground cinnamon

Directions

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add the 1-1/2 cups sugar and pumpkin. Beat until combined.
2. Beat in vanilla, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Beat in egg. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Cover and chill 1 hour.
3. In a small mixing bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. Drop cookie dough by teaspoonfuls into the sugar-cinnamon mixture, rolling to coat. Place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
4. Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Remove and cool on wire racks.





Oatmeal Bars photo DSC03088-2_zpsf6c900aa.jpg

These bars are seriously dangerous, I can't walk away with just one. I could sit with a glass of milk and eat them till my thighs begged me to stop.  The recipe makes a 9 x 13 baking pan full of oat bars filled with caramel and chocolate chips. The amount of butter in this is outrageous, which is why they're so good.  The old fashioned oats are moist but at the same time add a little crunch while the caramel and chocolate give you the chewy sinfully delicious middle that makes this bar addicting.  Bake at your own risk!

 photo DSC03078-001_zps8901a695.jpg

Wanna print just the recipe, click here!

World Champion Oatmeal Bars
CookEatShare
Nancy Miyasaki

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit. Coat a 9-by-13- inch baking pan with cooking spray. Line with a 9-by-21-inch sheet of parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on each short side. Put the caramels and cream in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the caramels are well melted, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
  2. Stir together the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Blend in the butter with a fork or until the mixture is coarse; press half of the mixture onto the lined pan. Bake until just set and starting to color around edges, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for about 5 minutes.
  3. Sprinkle the crust with the chocolate chips and drizzle it with the caramel mixture. Top with the remaining crumb mixture and bake until golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan. Then cut into squares and serve.
 photo DSC03089-2_zps76cef23c.jpg








Photobucket

My son Billy's 30th birthday required a fantastic cake, after all it's not everyday your baby turns 30.  I was making dinner and the cake. I knew the kids would be full from dinner and wouldn't have a lot of room for cake.  I started looking for a 9 inch cake recipe, just one layer that I could frost.  My internet search yielded nothing but 9 inch layer cakes.  I searched again only this time I searched  chocolate snack cakes.  I landed on Taste Of Home with a chocolate snack cake that fit the bill.  So delicious ( the reviews said) that it didn't need frosting.  I frosted the cake with the Hershey Perfectly Chocolate  Chocolate Frosting I used for the A - Number Banana Cake I made.  The snack cake was indeed fantastic and with the chocolate frosting it made a perfect birthday cake.  The picture I was able to take really doesn't do it justice though. While my grand daughters and I were putting the candles on the cake, the youngest decided she would take the already placed candles and move them...all over the top of the cake!  Holes everywhere, like little gophers lived on the cake top!  LOL!!   If you need a small cake to celebrate with, you can't go wrong with this one.

Wanna print just the recipe, click here!

Chocolate Snack Cake
Taste of Home

Cake Ingredients

   * 1 cup boiling water
   * 1/4 cup butter, softened
   * 1 egg
   * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
   * 1 cup all-purpose flour
   * 1 cup sugar
   * 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
   * 1 teaspoon baking powder
   * 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
   * 1/4 teaspoon salt
   * Confectioners' sugar

Directions

   * In a bowl, beat water and butter until butter is melted. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the egg mixture. Beat for 2 minutes.
   * Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 9 servings.


"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING
Hershey Chocolate

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

No comments: