Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Italian Bread Bowls...Use them for Soups, Salads or Dips!


 photo DSC06348_zps5e0a50f9.jpg

There was a time when bread bowls were the rage.  I don't hear anybody talking about them anymore.  What a pity, they are so good and easy to make!  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.
I got the bread bowl bug sometime last fall and decided I was going to try my hand at it.  I make all the bread we eat now and I figured another bread in the freezer can't be anything but good.  I really should have a nice picture of the bread bowl filled with something delicious like soup or a salad or even a nice party dip.  But it was a baking day here and I was up to my elbows in dough.  I'll do that another day.  As I mentioned, this Italian Bread Bowl can be used for soups, salads or dips.  But around here the way this usually gets eaten is...as a an Italian Bread.  It is absolutely delicious as is, with butter of coarse!  On a day that I make these they get wrapped in plastic and put into the freezer.  You can let it thaw out at room temperature or help it along in the microwave.  This bread is a staple in this house, it goes with everything.

Italian Bread Bowls photo DSC06320_zps3ca24cec.jpg

One of the very nice things about this recipe is you can make the individual dough balls any size you want to.  8 balls makes a nice size soup bowl, not to big,and you won't feel like your eating a ton of bread.  Go small to 10 balls and you have some nice Italian Rolls for burgers or sandwiches.  Because I use these as bread to slice, I make 5 or 6 balls.  Just enough for the two of us to slice up and eat along with dinner and have a little left over.     The first time I made this dough I couldn't believe how silky smooth and soft it was.  I loved having it in my hands.   The recipe says to use all purpose flour but I have always used bread flour, I also use extra virgin olive oil instead of vegetable oil. 

Italian Bread Bowls photo DSC06329_zps92f89882.jpg

This bread gets a nice crispy crust from combining an egg white and water to brush on top of the balls before they're baked.  Bake for 15 minutes .......


Italian Bread Bowls photo DSC06334_zps9d9903c5.jpg

And then brush with the water and egg white again.    Bake until golden brown.  I sure hope we have some adventurous bakers out there who'd like to make these, trust me, you will find ways to use them and eat them all the time!  Enjoy!


 photo 816C2AF3843EC11D09C6B5CA3BF40207_zps0a66ee62.jpg


Italian Bread Bowls photo DSC06344_zpsf607ec26.jpg

To print the recipe ,click here

Allrecipes



Italian Bread Bowls

Ingredients

2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C
2 tsps salt
2 Tbls vegetable oil ( I use olive oil)
7 cups all purpose flour ( I use bread flour)
1 Tbls cornmeal
1 egg white
1 Tbls water


Directions

  1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. Add salt, oil and 4 cups flour to the yeast mixture; beat well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well with an electric mixer at medium speed after each addition.
  3. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
  4. Punch dough down, and divide into 8 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 4 inch round loaf. Place loaves on lightly greased baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 35 minutes.
  5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small bowl, beat together egg white and 1 tablespoon water; lightly brush the loaves with half of this egg wash.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Brush with remaining egg mixture, and bake 10 to 15 more minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks.
  7. To make bowls: Cut a 1/2 inch thick slice from top of each loaf; scoop out centers, leaving 3/4-inch-thick shells. Fill bread bowls with hot soup and serve immediately.
 Here's a delicious light dip to fill your homemade bread bowls with!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

These look absolutely delicious! I love bread bowl soups!

Katrina said...

Yum! They look perfectly delicious!

Aviva said...

I would love to make these! Can the balls be frozen un-baked?

Bunny said...

Yes Aviva! They can be frozen after the first rise. Punch the dough down, form them into the size balls you want and wrap them in plastic wrap and then into freezer bags, let as much air out of the bags as you can. I freeze them after I bake them this way.

Anonymous said...

Do you know if the first part could be done on a dough setting in a bread machine? They look delicious!

Bunny said...

Green Glass Photography, does your bread machine hold that much flour? I would say you could if the machine would take that amount of flour. Thanks for stopping by!

HeiLin (Heidy McCallum) said...

I have been looking for a simple to follow recipe for Italian Bread Bowls ! Glad I found this wonderful recipe. They look so tasty and fresh!!

Bunny said...

Heidy you will love these bread bowls!!! Thank you for stopping by!