Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

White Texas Sheet Cake for the Fourth of July


Do you need a delicious cake recipe to feed a crowd on the Fourth Of July?  Here it is!  This cake is easy and fast to put together, that's not it's only attributes, it's moist and full of flavor and texture.  To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.





We were getting ready for a surprise birthday party at our house on Saturday.  Along with everything that needs to be done to have 40 people at our house, I decided late in the morning on Saturday that I would bake a cake, just to make sure there were enough desserts available.  People were coming at 2:30, it was 11:00 when I got my urge to bake.


In less than an hour this cake was...mixed, baked and frosted.  It takes about 15 minutes to get the ingredients measured out , melt the butter and water together and then mix all the cake ingredients in the pan you used to melt the butter and water in.  The cake bakes about 22 minutes.  While the cake was on it's last 10 minutes I started getting the frosting made.  When the cake came out of the oven, while it was still hot I frosted it.  Because you frost it hot, you get this wonderful creaminess where the cake and the frosting meet and melt into each other.  It was delightful!  The changes  I made to the recipe....  Instead of 2 sticks of butter in the cake batter, I used one.  I also switched the almond extract for vanilla extract in both the cake and the frosting and used chopped almonds in the frosting.  This is a delicious, creamy, moist cake with a nice crunch to it because of the almonds.  And let's not forget that it will feed a nice bunch of people!!  ENJOY!




To print the recipe, click here.



White Texas Sheet Cake
Taste Of Home

Cake Ingredients

1 cup butter, cube ( I used one stick of butter)
1 cup water 
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream 
1 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1 teaspoon almond extract ( I used vanilla extract)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda 


  Frosting
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup milk 
4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar 
1/2 teaspoon almond extract ( I used vanilla extract)
1 cup chopped walnuts ( I used chopped almonds)


Directions

In a large saucepan, bring butter and water just to a boil. Immediately remove from the heat; stir in the flour, sugar, eggs, sour cream, salt, baking powder, extract and baking soda until smooth.

Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.

For frosting, in a large saucepan, bring butter and milk just to a boil. Immediately remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar and extract. Stir in walnuts; spread over warm cake. Cool completely. Yield: 20 servings.




4 comments:

Foodiewife said...

I've made the chocolate Texas Sheet cake, and loved it. White cake is my favorite. I've bookmarked this recipe before, but you have given me the urge to make it. I looooooooooove almond extract, so will stick to that. Glad cutting back on the butter worked. How can one go wrong with sour cream? Yum!

Lynda said...

I love this as an alternative to the Texas Brownie Cake. A suggestion might be to red and white frosting on it, maybe in a swirl?

Jenny.U said...

I've had chocolate and peanut butter Texas sheet cakes but never white. Sounds good!

Bunny said...

It was very good jenny! Thank you for stopping by!