Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

The Best Carrot Cake Ever with Cream Cheese Frosting

The Best Carrot Cake EVER!   Moist, delicious and full of carrots and walnuts, the cinnamon gives it a warm spicy flavor.  The cream cheese frosting makes it decadent!
To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.




I've been making this recipe for 30 years and am just now getting around to blogging it.  I was thinking about Thanksgiving and all the delicious cakes we make for our families for our holiday dinners.  This one came to my mind.  I found the recipe years ago in an old cookbook called Grange Cook Book Pennsylvania State.  The cook book is filled with old fashioned recipes that I've tried and loved over many years. This recipe is pretty simple, you want carrot cake, you're getting carrot cake. The recipe has 4 cups of grated carrots in it.  In my pre-food processor days I would grate them by hand  because I loved this cake so much.  I had a lot of scuffed up knuckles back then!  But you don't have to do that now, it's a piece of cake with a food processor.  This cake bakes up nice and tall and is loaded with carrots and walnuts.   The cinnamon gives it a warm spicy flavor we love this time of year.  All this goodness is topped with a cream cheese frosting.  I doubled the frosting recipe, we love our cream cheese frosting in this house.  When you're thinking about what's going to go on your dessert table for the holiday, think...The Best Carrot Cake Ever!  Enjoy!




To Print The Recipe, Click Here.



Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Grange Cook Book Pennsylvania State
Recipe Submitted By Mrs. John Espey

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
4 cups grated carrots (9 large carrots will give you about 4 cups grated carrots)
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts ( walnuts or pecans are very good)

Directions:
Combine sugar, oil and eggs, beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.  Sift dry ingredients ( flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon) together.  Add to oil  mixture and beat at low speed for 1 minute.  Stir in grated carrots and nuts.  Spread batter in a greased and floured 9x13 baking pan.  Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour or until it tests done with a tooth pick.  When cool, frost with cream cheese frosting.

I doubled the recipe for the cream cheese frosting, ingredients listed are for a single batch.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 Pkg ( 8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup confectioners sugar

Directions:
Let cream cheese and butter warm to room temperature.  Beat them together and add vanilla.  Gradually beat in confectioners sugar.





13 comments:

facebook friend said...

A sister in law had a recipe similar (was best I ever had!!) Only difference she had added crushed pineapple. Absolutley the bomb!!!

Bunny said...

facebook friend, I've never added pineapple to the recipe but I bet if you only made the recipe with 3 cups of carrots and made the difference up with a cup of crushed pineapple well drained it work well. We love it the way it is,bu the addition of pineapple sounds good too!! Thank you so much for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Thank You for a recipe WITHOUT pineapple!! I am highly allergic to it and this is the first recipe I have seen that doesn't have it as an ingredient.

Jen said...

Wondering if I could make this cake into cupcakes?

Anonymous said...

My first introduction to carrot cake was as a newlywed in 1970 - bride from TX. On honeymoon, we stopped at Peaks of Otter Lodge on the Blue Ridge Parkway. They had a fantastic restaurant and buffet that people came many miles for.
I loved the carrot cake, and the chef, Hill Pref, gave me his recipe which I still use. Same as yours, except he only used 3 cups of carrots.

Joan Fisher Demshock

Anonymous said...

Also have a recipe from Riverwatch Cafe in Baltimore which does theirs with rum soaked raisins and crushed pineapple. A very good cake, but I think I still prefer a plain carrot cake - maybe just because of the sentimental factor.

Bunny said...

Anonymous your welcome! I've never had a carrot cake with pineapple in it, I imagine it's very good...but not for you! Glad you can make this recipe!

Bunny said...

Jennifer Drscoll, yes you can make it into cupcakes, that would be great. You could freeze some of them for later use!

Bunny said...

Joan I'm with you, I prefer plain carrot cake too. Well it's nice to know that the recipe I've been making all these yrs is close to a chef's recipe and loved!

Unknown said...

Can I replace the vegetable oil with applesauce?

Melissa said...

Mary, this looks fantastic! I love carrot cake, and I love that you made this one simple as a sheet cake. Off to pin right now. ~ Melissa@melissassouthernstylekitchen

Bunny said...

Juliet, I've never used applesauce in place of a fat in a cake before. The only suggestion I have is to cut the cake recipe in half and use the applesauce. If it works well then you know it can be done. Also come back and let me know so other people can make it that way as well!

Bunny said...

Melissa, thank you so much for visiting and pinning the recipe! Your blog is fantastic!